Makes 1 9-inch cake
PG sunflower oil adds a beautiful nutty richness to this cake, and the PG blueberry vinegar subs in for lemon perfectly. Serve this with a blueberry compote and whipped cream.
3/4 cup Pristine Gourmet sunflower oil, plus additional for greasing pan
2 tbsp Pristine Gourmet blueberry vidal vinegar
1 cup cake flour (not self-rising)
1 tsp ground cardamom
½ tsp salt
5 large eggs, separated, reserving 1 white for another use
3/4 cup plus 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F. Grease springform pan with some oil, then line bottom with a round of parchment paper. Oil parchment.
- Whisk cardamom together with flour and set aside. In a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whisk together yolks and 1/2 cup sugar at high speed until thick and pale, about 3 minutes. Reduce speed to medium and add sunflower oil (3/4 cup) and vinegar, beating until just combined (mixture may appear separated). Transfer to a large mixing bowl. Sift flower mixture over egg yolk mixture and stir in (do not beat) until just combined.
- Beat egg whites (from 4 eggs) with 1/2 teaspoon salt in another large bowl with cleaned beaters at medium-high speed until foamy, then add 1/4 cup sugar a little at a time, beating, and continue to beat until egg whites just hold soft peaks, about 3 minutes.
- Gently fold one third of whites into yolk mixture to lighten, then fold in remaining whites gently but thoroughly. Transfer batter to springform pan and gently rap against work surface once or twice to release any air bubbles. Sprinkle top evenly with remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar.
- Bake until puffed and golden and a wooden pick or skewer inserted in center of cake comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Cool cake in pan on a rack 10 minutes, then run a thin knife around edge of pan and remove side of pan. Cool cake to room temperature, about 1 1/4 hours. Remove bottom of pan and peel off parchment, then transfer cake to a serving plate.